DLP stands for Digital Light Processing is a video estimation technology which is developed by Texas Instruments.DLP technology can be utilized in numerous video display platforms but it is often used in video projectors. Earlier this DLP technology was employed in some backend projection of TVs.
The following process depicts how the DLP technology is used to produce images:-
A lamp moves light through a spinning color wheel, which then rebounds off of a single chip which is known as DMD chip, it has a surface which is covered with microscopic –sized slanting mirrors. The reflected light patterns then move through the lens and reach the screen.
Advantages of DLP projectors:-
- DLP projectors can be easily transported as it is small in size. Some of these projectors can even be connected to the tablets, smart phones and other mobile devices.
- These are mostly used for delivering home cinema applications.
- DLP projectors possess a muted pixel constituted when viewed from a normal viewing distance which may not influence a power point presentation but will surely affect smooth video presentations.
- DLP projectors encompass of fewer parts and are cheaper to repair.
Disadvantages of DLP projectors
- If the projector image is looked from one side of the screen then DLP projector depicts the rainbow effect traces of rainbow colored streaks around the brighter objects.
- Stray light reflections can be caused off the edges of the mirrors on the DLP chip which is caused by the grey band outside of the image. This can be evaded by installing black borders which are fixed on the older DLP screen of projector.
How does DLP Projectors Works:-
DLP projectors primarily depend upon a DLP chip or digital micro mirror device (DMD) which encompasses two million small mirrors, where each mirror measures the one fifth width of a human hair. Each of these mirrors can primarily move away or towards from the source of the light to create a light or dark pixel. The color is transmitted to the DMD by rays of light from a source of light lamp, which passes through the color wheel and reaches the chip and finally the image passes through the lens and it’s projected on the screen.
35 trillion colors can be delivered by three-chip architecture of DLP projector. It uses a prism to Clift the light from the lamp and every primary colored light is circuited to the DLP chip, and then delivered through the lens.
Uses of DLP projectors:-
- The business projector produces sales, marketing and training presentations.
- Home theatres are entrusted for delivering movies, playing video games, viewing TV commercials and serials on a huge screen, browsing the internet and viewing pictures from the still digitalized cameras.
- Video walls are found in the command and control centers which are utilized by the utility and telecommunication companies.
- Commercial entertainment operations like the concerts, award ceremonies, casinos and corporate launch events are best captured through these projectors.
- These projectors can be used for projecting in front of large group of people, for ex – these projectors are used in hotels, places of worship, classrooms and hotels.